Car Insurance for Vans

By Desiree Baughman
Desiree maintains insurance licensure in 46 states, and by combining years of experience as a writer and insurance professional, she delivers information consumers can easily relate to and understand. A graduate of Sweet Briar College with a diverse writing portfolio, she regularly serves as an expert source and commentator for respected outlets like CBS Money, Bankrate, and

Car Insurance for VansWhether you’re a rock star using your van to haul instruments and people, or using it only for personal reasons, you undoubtedly need insurance on your van. But do you need commercial insurance? Or do you need to insure it like any other vehicle if it’s only for personal use?

Who Should Invest in Commercial Van Insurance

Generally speaking, personal insurance should be purchased for your vehicle if you’re only going to be using it for social, domestic or personal purposes. A van should have business or commercial car insurance if it’s ever going to be used for any business purpose. Some examples of businesses that would need a commercial van insurance policy for their vehicle include:

  • Taxi drivers
  • Florists
  • Expeditors and couriers
  • Caterers
  • Plumbers
  • Electricians
  • Tradesmen

There may be some gray areas when it comes to commercial van insurance for some. Let’s say that your van is used for personal purposes 99% of the time, but it is occasionally used to transport your drum kit when you play with your band at the local pub once a month. If you’re making any income from that performance, then you may very well need commercial van insurance for your vehicle, though this is something that should be discussed with your insurer.

What to Expect From Your Van Insurance Policy

Commercial van owners have a few options when it comes to their van insurance coverage:

  • Liability: This type of insurance is a must-have for all vehicles on the road. Liability will compensate any parties for damages or injuries should you be deemed at fault in an accident.
  • Collision and Comprehensive: If your van is somehow damaged in an accident, regardless of fault, your expenses will be partially if not fully covered by your insurance policy. Protect your business by making sure there’s enough coverage in place to fully cover your van.
  • Carriage of Goods (i.e. electronic data and equipment coverage, personal property of others coverage, etc.): Unlike many personal auto insurance policies, commercial van owners have the option of investing in a policy that will protect all products or goods that you deliver in your van from theft or damage.

Many insurance companies will also offer small businesses and contractors additional policies, such as loss of income coverage, blanket additional insured coverage, and even identity theft insurance.

When in doubt, discuss your van insurance needs with your insurer. Thoroughly explain what the purpose of operating your van will be to ensure you receive enough coverage for your vehicle. Getting insurance for vans, whether commercially or with a personal policy, is fairly simple, unless of course you decide to renovate the inside so it’s a miniature camper and then start living in the back of it. In that case, you need to have a much longer conversation with your insurer…